[Samba] badly mangled names from certain old apps

Chris Garrigues cwg-dated-1131301249.847003 at Trinsics.Com
Tue Nov 1 18:20:48 GMT 2005

I just took on a new client who is having a curious problem with mangled
names.  Here's the history as I understand it:

Originally they were on an NT server and there was no issue.

My predecessor moved them to a samba server running on gentwo.  I do not know
what version of samba or how he moved the data, but when he did so, any files
and folders with more than 8 characters started appearing mangled from two and
only two apps.  Those two apps are qbtimer (Quickbooks) and "RAM Structural
System".

I have moved them to a new server running 3.0.13 under Mandriva.  The file
names still appear mangled.

Examples of how they are mangled:

Engineering		-> EHTEC6~Q
MSWord Templates	-> MLLW2U~K

The apps are running under XP and my user swears they didn't have a problem
under the old NT server.  My assumption is that these two apps are using an
old broken API, but if it really worked fine to an NT server, then there must
be something better we can do...if we just get more standard looking 8.3
mangling, that would help.

Any ideas?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                         Trinsic Solutions
President                               1611-B West 6th Street

512-322-0180                            http://www.trinsics.com

                 Would you rather proactively pay for
                uptime or reactively pay for downtime?

                          Trinsic Solutions