[Samba] pstools / psexec equivalent for Samba / Linux?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Mon May 30 07:07:45 GMT 2005

Kichigai Mentat schrieb:
> On May 29, 2005, at 13.50, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a pstools / psexec (tools by
>> Sysinternals) equivalent, which could be run on Linux machine to
>> execute a process on a remote Windows machine?
>
> Wrong mailing list for this one, buddy. Samba is just a file sharing
> system. However, you might want to look into VNC. It's a cross- platform
> system that basically turns the client machine into a remote  control
> for the server. There are Linux, Mac, and Windows servers and  clients,
> all will work with each other.

I thought someone on the list could know it, as it certainly could help
a *NIX / samba admin to control Windows machines.

Anyway, VNC is not a solution, it needs installing a service on a
Windows machine and is scrictly GUI; same goes for SSH - it won't work
unless you install it on a Windows machine and start it as a service.

psexec, on the other way, does not need anything installed on remote
Windows machine, what you need, is credentials.

It would be very handy to be able to execute simple tasks like that
(similar to ssh on unices) straight from a Samba server.

--
Tomek