[Samba] is dns required for windows domain?

Milan Andric mandric at gmail.com
Mon May 30 05:02:43 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am following the Samba by Example doc, except I don't manage DHCP or
DNS on my home network.   I'm trying to test this setup without it.
also, the instructions are for samba 3.0.20 but i'm using 3.0.13-1 (on
SUSE 9.3).
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html

 my win xp pro does not join the domain (DWS) and gives me this error;
<snip>
The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DWS

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:
</snip>

I also tried without firewalls and adding the server ip to wins entry
on the client. same error.

Any ideas?  Should I try using the windows hosts file? (lmhosts?)

Thanks!!

--
samba nooby