[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving mecrazy!!! Please help... - SOLVED!

peter peter at totallinux.com.br
Sat May 28 22:18:46 GMT 2005

Hello,

I finally got round to running the tests with other NICs, and I think I've
solved the problem!

With a 3c905B I get:

SMB - 7.2 MB/s (45% CPU usage)
FTP - 9.9 MB/s

And with a DEC 21140 based card I get:

SMB - 5.8 MB/s (36% CPU usage)
FTP - 7.5 MB/s

When compared to what I was getting (1.6 MB/s) with the NIC that comes with
the server (TLAN - NetIntelligent 10/100) it's a HUGE difference!!!

Now I think that it's just a question of tweaking the smb.conf file to get
the SMB rate closer to the FTP rate!

So it turns out that there is nothing wrong with FC3 or Samba 3, it was just
my old hardware! It's amazing what a DMA capable NIC can do for the overall
system performance.

Peter.