[Samba] Can't join PC's to Domain - object class 'sambaSamAccount' requires attribute 'sambaSID'

Ian Clancy clancyian at cel.ie
Wed May 25 10:06:17 GMT 2005

Hi Samba Admins,
I have a problem with my new Samba3.0.14a/LDAP domain. I can no longer
join computers to the domain using the normal procedure in windows.
I wetnt to the domain controller to investigate. When i run
# pdbedit -m -a mambo50
i am returned the following error

> init_ldap_from_sam: Setting entry for user: mambo50$
> ldapsam_modify_entry: Failed to add user dn=
> uid=mambo50$,ou=Computers,dc=zed,dc=org with: Object class violation
>         object class 'sambaSamAccount' requires attribute 'sambaSID'
> ldapsam_add_sam_account: failed to modify/add user with uid = mambo50$
> (dn = uid=mambo50$,ou=Computers,dc=zel,dc=org)
> Unable to add machine! (does it already exist?)

I have checked and the previous machine does not already exist.
I use the IDEALX tools to manage my Domain, when i try to add the PC
with the following command :
smbldap-useradd -w mambo50$
This creates the entry in my Directory. However, only the posix user
attributes are created, SambaSamAccount is not present.

Last week , I accidentally deleted the sambaDomainName branch of my
Directory. I restored this part of the tree in a couple of minutes
without any problems. This is where the SambaSID attribute is stored so
i wounder if this has in some way upset my samba setup. Does anyone know
how i can test this ?
Thanks for your help.
I will repost if i resove this issue myself.
regards,

--
Ian Clancy
IT Systems Engineer