[Samba] Performance problem when writing large files!

Josef.Fuchs at leykam.com Josef.Fuchs at leykam.com
Tue May 24 06:39:27 GMT 2005

Hello Listmembers!

This is the first time i'm posting to this list. I'm not a native speaker, so excuse my mistakes.

We're using

	Redhat with Kernel 2.4.29,
	12 GB of memory,
	Dual Itanium Processors
	Scasi Raid controller with filesystem ext3

	Samba V 3.0.14a

We encounter following problem. If somebody on the network writes big files from windows clients to a samba shared directory, the performance of the server will be as much degraded, that, using top, on all CPUs 'idle 0.0%' will be shown and the complete system freezes, up to minutes after stopping the copying process. After a while the system returns to its normal state, where mostly ideltimes from 50.0% up to 99.9% are shown. This behavior can be reproduced and will always happen.

Because for a multi-user environment, such behaviour is unacceptable, I hope, that somone of the gurus out there can give me a hint, how I can avoid this problem. Maybe there is an option to tell the Samba-daemon that it shouldn't use as much system resources or to reduce the allowed write speed, so that other activities woun't be blocked by Samba.

I'm looking forward to hear from you soon

kind regards.

Josef Fuchs           vox: +43 316 25567 218
Leykam Medien AG      fax: +43 316 25567 69218
Ankerstraße 4         http://www.leykam.com
A-8057 Graz