[Samba] how to use the *.patch file

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue May 24 05:33:07 GMT 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 22:05, =C4=A3=B6h wrote:
> hi,
> may i ask some stupid question.  :)

You may ask, but you may also receive a not-expected answer.

> I am using Samba 2.2.8a, how should i do if i don't want upgrade to the
> latest version of Samba but use the *.patch file?

Why do you not want to update to Samba-3.0.x? What have we done wrong?

Samba-2.2.x is a dead code tree that is no longer maintained. It has a numb=
er=20
of security vulnerabilities, and is not fully compatible with current Windo=
ws=20
clients, nor with recent Windows service patches.

The documentation for Samba-3 is extensive, including detailed guides for=20
updating your system. The documentation for Samba-2.2.x consisted of a=20
fraction of what is available now. Lack of documentation is no longer a=20
reasonable objection.

> And there are so many patch files, should i patch every file to my system?

Well, it would help if we knew which patches you are referring to. We do no=
t=20
create patches because we need something to do, rather each has it's purpos=
e.

> If the affected release of a patch file is "3.0.x <=3D 3.0.6", dose it me=
an
> this security issue just affect version 3.0.x and my system can ignore
> this?

Suffice to say that today, 18 months after 3.0.0 came out (and at version=20
3.0.14a) no-one should be running an earlier 2.x version. There are securit=
y=20
reasons for this, plus the longer you delay in updating the more work will =
be=20
involved when you do. We put much effort into helping our users to remain=20
current with Microsoft Windows service patches, and we work with the=20
principal that small-step upgrades are less painful than massively=20
discontinuous update performed after long intervals.

Recently I had to help a Samba site move from 2.0.7 to 3.0.14a in what had=
=20
become a very challenging update. The update was forced because client=20
workstations suddenly started to drop-off the network. The disruption cause=
d=20
would have been avoided had the site remained current.

No offense means, and I certainly would not want to come across as coercing=
 a=20
change - the decision is yours and yours alone.

=2D John T.
=2D-=20
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member