[Samba] DNS Problem under Windows XP Clients

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon May 23 19:01:36 GMT 2005

>i was trying to set up a samba PDC for my small network with WindowsXP
>and Linux clients, and when i think everything is ready, XP clients
>complained about a missing DNS SRV record for something like
>_ldap_tcp.xxx.xxx, so i added that DNS record to my DNS.. and another
>error appeared: the query was successful and a SRV record was found,
>and it points to the Samba PDC, but it also says there was an error
>and that two things might be happening:

Normally you don't need the _ dns entries (there's a few different ones
besides _ldap) in a Samba setup, they are used by AD to locate servers
and such.  Where are these errors coming?  Event log, pop up windows,
etc.?  This sounds a lot like the errors you would see when you are
setting up an AD server.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.