[Samba] samba4 openldap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 21 12:46:59 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:27 +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> fre, 20.05.2005 kl. 18.02 skrev Caleb O'Connell:
>
> > I see that samba4 will have it's own LDAP database.
>
> Quote your source ;) And exactly what are you inferring?
>
> >   How will the support
> > for OpenLDAP be?
>
> If it's any different from Samba 3, there will be one hell of a to do
> with all previously installed bases. Just imagine ...

Indeed, Samba4 is a very different project to previous versions of
Samba, and it has a very different way of storing it's data.

> >  if anyone knows.  Will I have the option to use OpenLDAP
> > still for all the new features so as to be able to use current apps that
> > use OpenLDAP already?  If anyone has info regarding this, it would be
> > appreciated.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, if Samba suddenly stops working with the
> site-wide LDAP database that I already use for umpteen other site-wide
> services, then Samba rots out, not the other services (pam Unix and gdm
> authentication and login, e-mail, printer quota, etc.)

Discussion about the design of Samba4 is welcome over on the samba-
technical list.  Samba4 is taking on a very different tack from previous
versions, particularly from a database schema perspective (needing to be
able to express an generalised LDAP server holding an AD-compatible
schema as one interface).

My hope is that ideas of schema mapping, and meta directory technologies
will be placed behind the 'ldb' pluggable interaface (which currently
supports both local db and ldap backends).

But I strongly suspect that existing Samba 3.0 LDAP sites will find a
migration to an initial Samba4 release quite difficult.  We will provide
migration tools, but if you (rightly) don't want to turn your LDAP
directory upside down, it will be hard.  That's why I'm talking about
schema mapping and metadirectories, we need the directory to look
different to different clients.

Andrew Bartlett