[Samba] run a script with "administrator" credentials?

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sat May 21 11:46:41 GMT 2005

lør, 21.05.2005 kl. 12.00 skrev Tomasz Chmielewski:

> >>Is it possible to run a custom script for a given machine when it boots
> >>up (that is already joined to the domain), with administrator
> >>credentials (for example, to install software)?
> >

> > I don't know about running scripts as a *machine* at logon/boot time,
> > but I've discovered that Windows 2000 and later have an executable
> > called runas, which can run .msi installation programs (using msiexec)
> > with elevated privileges at *user* logon.
> >
> > I don't have any details to hand right now, but google for msiexec and
> > runas and look in the Microsoft knowledge base.
> >

> >>For now it seems to me that it's only possible to run a "machine script
> >>- %m" or a "user script - %u" with the credentials of a user.
> >

> > No, you can run at elevated privileges. But for me it ain't worth the
> > extra hassle with my machine and user park (respectively 80 and 1150+ at
> > a single site).
>
> So how do you distribute software then? Are you really paid to go and
> click many times to install software on each of these machines? :)

I don't administrate the Windows side, I look after the Samba bit.
However, Windows 2000 Prof workstations are installed using a Ghost
mirror image, most non-native Microsoft applications (OpenOffice.org,
Thunderbird, Firefox etc.) are run from a centralized server-based
installation and, for example, Nitrobit Group Policy client utility is
indeed installed automatically by a single administrator login/logout at
each workstation. Centralized server-based utilities are easy to
update/upgrade when needed. Think of all the Firefox updates during the
last months.

It's up to each admin to evaluate which method is best for his site.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...