[Samba] Samba3 on SCO Openserver

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri May 20 15:40:04 GMT 2005

fre, 20.05.2005 kl. 16.13 skrev roberto.guerra at tecnoeli.it:

> I'm tryng to compile and install samba 3.0.14a on a SCO Openserver 5.0.6 server (i want to use some shared printers from MS server2003 on a customer network, but with samba SCO ver 2.2, i can't obtain the authorization from the domain controller to use shared resources), but i'm havig a lot of trouble.
>
> I had dowloaded samba-3.0.14a.tar.gz fro Samba.org.
> I had put all the source code in the directory "/local/samba", and i have uncompressed and unzipped all the files using gunzip an tar.
> I have installed the development package (SCO) on my machine so now i have cc.
> Then i run /local/samba/samba-3.0.14a/source/configure to obtain the Makefile (ad i think it's all OK)
> When i run make, i obtain a lot (one for each source file .c) of WARNING like this:
>
> UX:ACOMP:WARNING: "include/vfs.h", line 475: no macro replacement within a string literal
>
> then the linker stop with a fatal error:
>
> Undefined first referenced symbol in file
> __unsafe_string_function_usage_here__ smbd/msdfs.o
> UX:ld: ERROR: BIN/smbd: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. no output written to bin/smbd
> UX:MAKE: ERROR: FATAL ERROR.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
> Note that i'm not a C or Shell programmer so i don't know what i'm really doing!!!
> I think that something is wrong in the compiler directive (./configure?)o in some of the include files (includes.h?) are not good for SCO openserver environment.

You'll not find that you have half the headers or libraries you need,
even though you've installed SCO's development system. Furthermore, all
the utilities are years out of date.

You'd at least stand a better chance if you installed GNU's gcc,
binutils and other stuff. I once compiled all these on Open Server
5.0.5, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Go to usenet comp.unix.sco.misc and ask there. Jean-Pierre Radley has an
arsenal of ready-compiled stuff; furthermore, I'm sure other Open Server
users have done/tried to do what you want and could help one way or
another. Better still is ditching Open Server and choosing a more modern
OS, but then you probably already know that.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...