[Samba] Q.'s about file system rights and winbind

Ian Miller imiller at bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri May 20 13:46:52 GMT 2005

I have just setup winbind on a RedHat EP 3 server with samba 3.0.9
I have everything setup except the pam mods.  I have a windows 2003 domain
running in mix mode (due to old system that can not be updated) so I am
running the samba server in domain mode.

smb.conf
[global]
Unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = <my domain name>
netbois name = <host name of server>
server string = Samba server
security = domain
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
winbind separator = +
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
encrypt password = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
sock options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
wins server = 128.135.182.84
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /tmp
template primary group = "Domain Users"
winbind use default domain = yes

[data]
 path = /home/data
 browseable = yes
 writeable =yes

## Q. do I need pam configured for just file sharing?
## Q. how do I / can I add domain groups to the file share for my ACL's ?
      Q. do I need to created a mapping for this or will winbind just do the
translation ( which would be great ). ?
Thanks for any time and effort put forth.
-Ian