[Samba] samba vpn pptp [the specified network name is no longer available]

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed May 18 20:47:08 GMT 2005

Reggie Cushing schrieb:
> hi guys,
>             I'm having trouble accessing samba share  files from a
> windows xp client using a vpn pptp connection. I configured samba and
> it works excellent on the LAN but when i connect through pptp and
> access the samba server \\192.168.3.1 I can see the shared folders but
> when i try to browse them, windows hangs (4 a change!) for a while
> then returns "the specified network name is no longer available". The
> vpn works fine cause i can ping 192.168.3.1 . These are my samba
> settings:-
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = xxxxxxx
>         server string = xxxxxx
>         password server = None
>         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         max log size = 50
>         name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         preferred master = Yes
>         domain master = Yes
>         dns proxy = No
>         wins support = Yes
>         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
>         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
>         path = xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         browseable = No
>
> [xxxxxxx]
>         path = xxxxxxxxx
>         valid users = xxxxxxx
>         read only = No
>
> I'm running samba Version 3.0.10-1.fc2
> Any help would be much appreciated cause i'm desperate.........
>
> Regards
> SLeePBoY
Hi,
did you give wins and dns server to the vpn client via pptpd ?
use the same user and same password in pptpd and samba , what are your
smb log tell? dont use any firewall during testing on the client or on
the vpn server.
your conf shows up samba running as domain cotroller but no auth
backend, (tdbsam, smbpasswd, ldap....?)
path = xxxxxxxxxxxx in global is senseless study the samba faqs for
using samba as domain controller....is you setup working ( conect in
intranet? )
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431 as far i remember this entries are only
needed on a member server, so your conf makes no sense in general

Regards

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards