[Samba] samba vpn pptp [the specified network name is no longer available]

Reggie Cushing cushingreggie at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:16:35 GMT 2005

hi guys,
            I'm having trouble accessing samba share  files from a
windows xp client using a vpn pptp connection. I configured samba and
it works excellent on the LAN but when i connect through pptp and
access the samba server \\192.168.3.1 I can see the shared folders but
when i try to browse them, windows hangs (4 a change!) for a while
then returns "the specified network name is no longer available". The
vpn works fine cause i can ping 192.168.3.1 . These are my samba
settings:-

[global]
        workgroup = xxxxxxx
        server string = xxxxxx
        password server = None
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        path = xxxxxxxxxxxx

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = No

[xxxxxxx]
        path = xxxxxxxxx
        valid users = xxxxxxx
        read only = No

I'm running samba Version 3.0.10-1.fc2
Any help would be much appreciated cause i'm desperate.........

Regards
SLeePBoY