[Samba] Tiger, Samba, and ADS

d mflatley at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:49:18 GMT 2005

Trying to get Samba working with Active Directory and ACL's on an OS X
(Tiger) server.  So far it hasn't been too easy.  We were able to
finally recompile version 3.014 with ACL's on the server.  Now we are
stuck trying to get AD integration to work.  Ideally, we would like it
set up so that the OS X file server knows and uses all of the users
and groups from Active Directory without having to create our own
mapping file (does that make sense?).  All of the clients are Win XP.

As of right now, the file server has been able to join the domain.
Issuing a wbinfo -u or wbinfo -g gives the expected output.  Now,
whenever I try to log into the system using my AD credentials, I see
this in the log.smbd file:

Username DOMAIN\MFLATLEY$ is invalid on this system

Here is the Global section of our smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAINNY
        display charset = UTF-8-MAC
        unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
        dos charset = CP437
        realm = DOMAIN.ORG
        encrypt passwords = yes
        password server = adserv2
        map acl inherit = yes
        nt acl support = yes
        security = ADS
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes
        wins support = no
        wins server = 10.0.11.17
        guest account = unknown
        allow trusted domains = no
        netbios name = osx-fileserv2
        max smbd processes = 0
        server string = Mac OS X
        local master = no
        domain master = no
        map to guest = Never
        defer sharing violations = no
        log level = 1
        use spnego = yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam smbpasswd
        auth methods = guest opendirectory
        username map = /etc/samba/private/smbusers
        idmap uid = 10000-65000
        idmap gid = 10000-65000
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind enum users = yes