[Samba] Sarbanes-Oxley headaches

Stuart Highlander fsb at ntwsdb.com
Mon May 16 13:50:21 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Sarbanes-Oxley headaches

> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 10:44 +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
>

> > > i am currently using samba version 3.0.7 with smbpasswd.
> > >
> > > does the account lockout feature not work with smbpasswd?
> >
> > smbpasswd doesn't have anything to do with this, it's used for setting /
> > synchronizing passwords. Perhaps you meant smbclient; yes it works both
> > for Windows (XP Pro in my case) and smbclient.
> >
> ----
> smbpasswd is not just a command but also a backend storage type for user
> accounts & passwords.
>
> <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-
> Collection/passdb.html#id2552851>
>
> I gather that OP would be better served by using a tdb or ldap backend.

i am not the original poster, but did ask the question regarding account
lockout and reset using the smbpasswd backend.

i agree that moving to ldap or tdb would better suit my needs but i do not
have the test environment nor the time to move and adequately test my
production environment to one or the other right now.

since i am using the smbpasswd for the foreseeable future, are the account
lockout and reset features applicable to using the smbpasswd backend?  if
not, it is ok.  my guess is that they are not, but cannot find documentation
to verify this.

as for sox, i found a free program that enables window$ boxes to log event
logs to a remote syslog server, found here:

 http://www.netadmintools.com/art284.html

stu