[Samba] not able to do dns lookups after following samba 3 by example

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu May 12 20:04:25 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Thursday 12 May 2005 13:43, Paul Gienger wrote:
>

>>>  1.
>>>
>>>      Configure the name service switch (NSS) to handle WINS based
>>>      name resolution. Since this system does not use a DNS server, it
>>>      is safe to remove this option from the NSS configuration. Edit
>>>      the /etc/nsswitch.conf file so that the hosts: entry looks like
>>>      this:
>>>
>>>hosts:	files wins
>>>

>>Given the context of that statement... there's nothing wrong with
>>removing dns from the line.  HOWEVER - and this is a big one - I feel
>>pretty confidant that I can count on my fist how many times I'll ever
>>run into a system that will be happy running with no dns.
>>

>And I can not count the number of systems I have installed that work just fine
>without any DNS or internet access. Why should it be necessary to install DNS
>for a 5 user office that uses no internet access and that wants to keep
>things simple?

Well then I just showed my age ;)  No office (or non-office) network*
I've been at has not used some sort of dns, if not internal, then the
server still wanted to be able to find some external site via the ISP's
dns.  I come from a time where the internet not existing is just not
within the realm of possibilities, I'd go as far as to claim blasphemy
if someone mentions it :-D

*a network being 2+ computers.  Plenty of my elder family members have
single dial up machines that do just fine without DNS when the modem is
unplugged.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.