[Samba] inter domain trust - another network

TMSIII tms3 at fsklaw.com
Wed May 11 21:01:45 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Wednesday 11 May 2005 14:22, Paul Gienger wrote:
>

>>>But when a try to stablish the relationship, it simply cannot find the
>>>PDC or the other domain, when issuing the command:
>>>net rpc trustdom establish OTHERDOMAIN
>>>Samba quits saying it can't find the other domain PDC, so i supposed it
>>>is a wins problem.
>>>

>>Do you run a seperate wins server on each domain/subnet?  You may want
>>to try a master server setup with all clients referring to it.
>>

>That is good advice!
>
>- John T.

I've dealt with this over a VPN 2 different ways.  First was to set a
Samba WINS server as master and have the various remote offices samba
servers forward to that.  It was a bit glitchy but it worked.  In
smb.conf I had this:

        wins server = 192.168.61.1 192.168.62.1 192.168.62.2
        remote announce = 192.168.62.2/FSK 192.168.62.1/FSK 192.168.61.1/FSK
#       remote browse sync = 192.168.61.1 192.168.62.1 192.168.62.2

My biggest problem was WinXP machines in the W2K domain (I have a Samba
and W2K domain).  So I switched WINS to my W2K servers and turned off
WINS server for the samba machines.  That's why the browse sync line is
commenmted out.  The trust between the domains is now quite stable and I
have few problems.  If you don't have a W2K domain your Samba servers
should have no problem if you set those three lines properly for your
network.