[Samba] Samba docs

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Mon May 9 14:03:16 GMT 2005

Tony Earnshaw <> wrote:
> This would make any documentation a PITA. Proggies would have to be
> available for multiple OSs, download sizes would swell to the
> unmanageable, etc.

Programs already do exist to play video on many platforms,
all you would need to do is make it available in mpeg and/or
ogg vorbis and most people would be able to view it somewhere.

The download size argument is moot, as most people have
broadband nowadays, plus the video need not be a replacement
of the documentation, but a supplement to the existing
text documentation.

> he says. As far as the Samba docs go, they're fine in html and pdf as
> they are.

Yes, they are.  Samba is one of the best documented pieces
of software in existence.  That doesn't mean that you can't
supplement it with some video for extra clarity.  I know there
have been many times where someone has described how to
locate something in Windows, only to find that the authors
description is invalid for my particular installation.  (I'm
not referring specifically to the Samba docs here, just
GUI descriptions in general.)

I'm willing to help with capturing video, as long as
someone tells me what they want captured.

There is a GPL'd desktop screen recorder at sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/

--J(K)