[Samba] Samba & Win2k AD domain membership

Gordon Hopper g.hopper at computer.org
Mon May 9 06:08:00 GMT 2005

No, you don't need to run winbind (provided that all of your Samba users
already have unix accounts, or you list them in your smbusers file).  I
use Samba+Kerberos (with Active Directory) without running winbind.  I
didn't modify my pam settings because I'm using Kerberos only for Samba.

Note that, in this scenario, my AD users cannot log in to the box (with
e.g. telnet).  Also, I map the file permissions with "force user = x",
since the users don't have a read uid on the box.  (Also, I can't access
AD groups without winbind...  There are some downsides, but Samba does
work without it.)

Regards,

Gordon Hopper