[Samba] [Nearly Resolved] Samba-3 by Example, Ex 2.4

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sat May 7 22:17:21 GMT 2005

OK, I've got this one working, but only by enumerating the valid users in
the "files" share--%S wouldn't work in the valid users field (e.g.,
"smbclient //<servername>/files" would simply give an
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error).  This would be OK for a small LAN, but for
small enterprises or LANs with 75-100 users, as some on this list have
mentioned, that becomes cumbersome (would the field even hold 75 names?).

So now my question is this, since it appears I still don't have my users
entirely correctly configured: %S, per the smb.conf man page, is the
service name (files in my case) and not the user name--but the man page
goes on to say that the %S macro attempts to deduce the user name from the
service name. How does the macro attempt to do this?  Failing that, are
there any ideas about what I'm still doing wrong in configuring my
users?  The relevant parts of my smb.conf file follow.

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

[master]
         comment = Master work area
         path = /archive
         valid users = mfwic
         read only = No

[files]
         comment = The actual backups
         path = /archive/%U
         valid users = annlee, ehines
         read only = No

Out of the argument with ourselves comes poetry, out of the argument with
others comes politics.
         --Yeats