[Samba] Use Samba as drop-in replacement for NFS

Frood find.place at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:28:53 GMT 2005

On 5/5/05, Matt R <aaron_milwaukee at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to use Samba as a drop-in replacement
> > for NFS, namely,
> > allowing a system-wide anonymous mount which
> > authenticates access to
> > files based simply on the unix ids of the user
> > accessing the files and
> > the file permissions are equivalent to what is
> > present in the
> > underlying file system that is exported.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Frood
>
> Depending on your needs, possibly.  Remember that smb
> filesystems don't support unix symlinks.  There could
> be other changes.

I just tried symlinks and they worked (suprisingly!).  I'm interested
in finding out if I can have NFS-like mount semantics, where there is
a systemwide mount that all users access, and access control is
provided by unix file permissions, as opposed to SMB share semantics,
where each user has to be authenticated before they can mount a file
system.