[Samba] charset problem with smbmount

dobos_s at ibcnet.hu dobos_s at ibcnet.hu
Thu May 5 10:48:20 GMT 2005

>With mount -t cifs it works!

Suddently not.

It seems there are windows shares, where some files have characters in
their names with iso8859-1 and others with iso8859-2 encodings.
If I mount with iocharset=iso8859-x the filenames are ok, but not at the
same time.
But when I browse that share with windows I see the good characters despite
they are not in the same codepage.

I dont really need to see (display) the right characters in linux.
I only want that rsync, cp and others can reach these files; and if they
will be copied back to windows share
the filename should not change (this should be a backup solution :-)

Can somebody help me?

Dobos Sandor
IBCnet Hungary Ltd.