[Samba] nscd, ldap and the root/Administrator account

taso ahg1 at aanet.com.au
Thu May 5 10:02:49 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>>>root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>>>Administrator:x:0:5001:Netbios Domain
>>>Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash

The smbldap-populate script in smbldap-tools-0.8.8-1 (and other versions)
no longer adds a user called Administrator - it adds a user called root. So
what you now get is:

# getent passwd | fgrep x:0
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
root:x:0:0:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/root:/bin/false

The first entry comes from /etc/passwd while the second comes from LDAP.

I would feel happier if the LDAP root user had the same values as the
/etc/passwd root user for common attributes, Ie home directory -> /root
and shell -> /bin/bash. Would anyone hazard a guess as to what I would
screw up by doing that?

Why is it it necessary to have an LDAP root user anyway? Would it work
to have an LDAP Administrator user instead and map him to /etc/passwd
root (as someone has previously mentioned)?

> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

I don't know about the HOWTO-Collection but the example in the Guide shows:

#  getent passwd | grep root
root:x:998:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home:/bin/false

Why does LDAP root have uid 998 and what happened to the /ete/password root user?

--
Taso Hatzi

tr -d "blewky" <<-QWERTY
tabsol at kelemunnkari.dowzy.au