[Samba] nscd, ldap and the root/Administrator account

John H Terpstra jht at PrimaStasys.Com
Tue May 3 11:26:13 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 04:55, Ian Clancy wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using Samba 3 as a PDC with an Openldap backend and  also have a
> number of Samba domain member servers that lookup the ldap directory for
> their account information. I use ssh to perform various administration
> tasks. There is an account called Administrator in the LDAP directory
> that has a UID of 0 . However, after nscd has been started, the next
> time i login to one of the member servers using the root account my
> username is reported as Administrator and not as root as expected. This
> causes various issues with ssh keys etc..
>
> I have the following lines in my nsswitch.conf file.
>
> > passwd:     files ldap
> > shadow:     files ldap
> > group:      files ldap
>
> grepping the output of 'getent passwd' for x:0:
> > root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> > Administrator:x:0:5001:Netbios Domain
> > Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash
>
> When i stop the nscd service the behaviour of the system returns to normal.
> I apologise if this topic is not directly samba related. However, i'm
> sure somebody else must have come accross this behaviour.

I wish someone would document that! Oops, maybe it is. Did you check the
documentation?

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

If you can't find it in there please let me know so it can get fixed.
Defective documentation is such a pain in the neck! Really - it is!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra, CTO
PrimaStasys Inc.