[Samba] browsing/nmbd problem - OS X

David P. Goldenberg goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Wed May 4 23:49:13 GMT 2005

Hi,
	I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a bit of help
with this.  I am trying to run Samba 3.0.5, as distributed with Mac
OS X server 10.3.8, on an Apple Xserve.  Things were working
beautifully until I had problems with an IP address change and had to
reinstall everything.

At present, the situation seems to be that the smb protocol is
operating, since I can make an smb connection from either a Windows
client or a Mac client, provided I specify the IP address of the
server.  But, the server does not show up for browsing on either the
Windows or Mac clients.  This I could live with, but the real problem
is that I want to use the server as a PDC, and it is not recognized
by the clients.

I have gone through the Samba Checklist with the following results:

1. testparm - only warnings are:

WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Invalid combination of parameters for service Public. Level II
oplocks can only be set if oplocks are also set.
Invalid combination of parameters for service homes.  Level II
oplocks can only be set if oplocks are also set.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

2. pings - OK

3. smbclient -L PHYLO

Everything looks OK, including information for server, workgroup and master.

4.  nmblookup -B PHYLO __SAMBA__  - looks OK

added interface ip=155.101.106.50 bcast=155.101.106.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying __SAMBA__ on 155.101.106.50
Got a positive name query response from 155.101.106.50 ( 155.101.106.50 )
155.101.106.50 __SAMBA__<00>

5. nmblookup -B GOLDENBERG_ITC '*' - there seem to be problems here

I can only get this to work with the last characters '*', rather than
`*' as indicated in the online and book version of the HOWTOs.  Can
anyone tell me if there is a misprint in the document?
Alternatively, perhaps there is a Mac keyboard mapping issue here?

Anyway, this is the response I get:

added interface ip=155.101.106.50 bcast=155.101.106.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying * on 0.0.0.0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 155.101.106.50 )
155.101.106.50 *<00>

Even though I get a positive response, it is the IP address of the
server, not the client.  I get exactly the same response with other
client names, even ones that don't exist.

If I use the IP address, I get:

nmblookup -B 155.101.106.203 '*'
added interface ip=155.101.106.50 bcast=155.101.106.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying * on 155.101.106.203
name_query failed to find name *

6. nmblookup -d 2 '*' - gives several positive responses.

But, the response includes only IP Addresses.  Should it return netBIOS names?

7.  smbclient //PHYLO/Public - seems to work fine.

8. from PC: net view \\PHYLO

Initially could not find server.  Added server IP address to WINS
Server box in the TCP/IP setup on the PC.  net view then worked, even
though the server is not set to be a WINS server.  But, this doesn't
allow browsing.

 From the documentation, this seems to point to a problem with the
nmbd setup, and I think that I really need to "Fixup the nmbd
installation", as it says in the Checklist, in order to get the
functionality I want.

9. from PC: net use x: \\PHYLO\Public

This seems to work fine, and the volume is mounted as a network drive.

10.  nmblookup -M GOLDENBERGLAB

The results depend on where I run it from!

Running it from the server gives:

added interface ip=155.101.106.50 bcast=155.101.106.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying GOLDENBERGLAB on 155.101.106.255
Got a positive name query response from 155.101.106.50 ( 155.101.106.50 )
155.101.106.50 GOLDENBERGLAB<1d>

Running it from another Unix machine on the subnet (actually OS X) gives:

querying GOLDENBERGLAB on 155.101.107.255
155.101.106.203 GOLDENBERGLAB<1d>

This seems to say that the server (PHYLO) thinks that it is the
master browser, but other machines think that the client is!

11.  I can't find the server in a browser.

I get essentially the same results if the server is set up as stand
alone or as a PDC.

I am completely new to Samba, but my sense is that the server is
working (mostly), is but not making itself known on the network.

I have also included the smb.conf file at the bottom of this message.
On OS X Server, smb.conf is created and changed using a graphical
interface.  The guest account "unknown" does exist.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks in advance,
David Goldenberg

-----------------------------------

phylo:> more smb.conf
[global]
         log level = 2
         display charset = UTF-8-MAC
         print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p %s
         lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p %j
         security = user
         guest account = unknown
         encrypt passwords = yes
         printing = BSD
         allow trusted domains = no
         preferred master = yes
         lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p %j
         netbios name = phylo
         wins support = no
         add machine script = /usr/bin/opendirectorypdbconfig -c
create_computer_account -r %u -n "/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1"
         max smbd processes = 0
         printcap =
         server string = Mac OS X Server
         lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p %j
         logon drive = H:
         domain logons = yes
         lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
         admin users = @admin
         passdb backend = opendirectorysam guest
         dos charset = CP437
         unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
         auth methods = guest opendirectory
         local master = yes
         use spnego = no
         map to guest = Never
         domain master = yes
         printer admin = @admin, @staff, unknown
         logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
         workgroup = GOLDENBERGLAB
[StructureUsers]
         oplocks = 1
         map archive = no
         path = /Volumes/StructureUsers
         read only = no
         inherit permissions = 0
         strict locking = 0
         comment = macosx
         create mask = 0644
         guest ok = 0
         directory mask = 0755
[Public]
         oplocks = 0
         map archive = no
         path = /Shared Items/Public
         read only = no
         inherit permissions = 0
         strict locking = 0
         comment = macosx
         create mask = 0644
         guest ok = 0
         directory mask = 0755
[homes]
         root preexec = /usr/sbin/inituser %U
         read only = no
         comment = User Home Directories
         browseable = no
         create mode = 0750
[profiles]
         oplocks = yes
         path = /Users/Profiles
         read only = no
         strict locking = no
         browseable = no
[netlogon]
         oplocks = yes
         path = /etc/netlogon
         strict locking = no
         browseable = no
         write list = @admin
[Groups]
         oplocks = 1
         map archive = no
         path = /Groups
         read only = no
         inherit permissions = 0
         strict locking = 0
         comment = macosx
         create mask = 0644
         guest ok = 0
         directory mask = 0755
[Users]
         oplocks = 1
         map archive = no
         path = /Users
         read only = no
         inherit permissions = 0
         strict locking = 0
         comment = macosx
         create mask = 0644
         guest ok = 0
         directory mask = 0755

Department of Biology
University of Utah
257 South 1400 East
Salt Lake City, UT  84112-0840

Telephone: (801) 581-3885
Fax:  (801) 581-2174

E-mail: goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Lab web page: http://www.biology.utah.edu/goldenberg

"Life is complex: There are real parts and imaginary parts." - author unknown