[Samba] browsing/nmbd problem - OS X

David P. Goldenberg goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Thu May 5 18:51:26 GMT 2005

Hi,
	The problem I described in my post yesterday turns out to have a
simple to implement, but difficult to explain, solution.  Changing
the network mask on the OS X server running Samba, from 255.255.255.0
to 255.255.254.0 seems to have solved the problems.  What is hard to
understand, though, is that both the server and client had IP
addresses that should have been reached using the original mask.

Anyway, I'm sorry if anyone has wasted time on the original question.

Thanks,
David Goldenberg

On 5/4/05, David P. Goldenberg wrote:

>Hi,
>	I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a bit of help
>with this.  I am trying to run Samba 3.0.5, as distributed with Mac
>OS X server 10.3.8, on an Apple Xserve.  Things were working
>beautifully until I had problems with an IP address change and had
>to reinstall everything.
>
>At present, the situation seems to be that the smb protocol is
>operating, since I can make an smb connection from either a Windows
>client or a Mac client, provided I specify the IP address of the
>server.  But, the server does not show up for browsing on either the
>Windows or Mac clients.  This I could live with, but the real
>problem is that I want to use the server as a PDC, and it is not
>recognized by the clients.

Department of Biology
University of Utah
257 South 1400 East
Salt Lake City, UT  84112-0840

Telephone: (801) 581-3885
Fax:  (801) 581-2174

E-mail: goldenberg at biology.utah.edu
Lab web page: http://www.biology.utah.edu/goldenberg

"Life is complex: There are real parts and imaginary parts." - author unknown