[Samba] My public folder is not public

Mark Cooke mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Sun May 1 20:16:23 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 16:38 -0300, Hernani Donato wrote:

> [publica]
> available = yes
> browseable = yes
> comment = public folder
> guest ok = yes
> path = /home/public
> read only = no
> writable = yes
>
> The problem is:
>
> The user Bob open any folder located in publica share, then create a
> new folder and insert new content.
>
> The user Magie open the folder created by Bob and your content is
> invisible for Magie and others users. Only Bob can view the
> contents!!!

See 'force user' and 'force group' for one possible solution, if you
don't want to retain ownership information.

On our temporary data transfer shares I just force a common owner for
the files.  Works a treat.

Alternatively, you can use the 'create mask' and 'directory mask' to
ensure the defaults allow group/other access too.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Cooke <mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>