[Samba] LDAP shared files error

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun May 1 07:52:26 GMT 2005

Jamrock wrote:

> I am installing Samba 3.0.14a on Whitebox Linux 3.0 with Openldap 2.2.24.
>
> Openldap is working well and we can query the entries that we have in our
> addressbook.
>
> I have installed Samba from source.  The configure, make and make install
> appear to go okay.
>
> When I try to start Samba
> with /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D
> I ge the following error
>
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries:
> libldap.2.2.so.7: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
>
> I see the libldap.2.2.so.7 in /usr/local/lib and
> /usr/local/openldap-2.2.24/libraries/libldap/.libs
>
> My include/config.h file contains the line
> #define HAVE_LDAP 1
>
> What am I missing?

This is for Red Hat 3.0:

Firstly, you'd be far better off using the official Samba RH srpm,
installing the spec file, changing that to suit your needs and
rpmbuilding -bb from that. That's my experience on RHAS3, anyway - even
though I've got OL 2.2.4 installed from source, just as you have :)

Secondly, have you added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run
ldconfig? Presumably you have, and /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib, etc
also, otherwise OL 2.2.4 wouldn't work. Otherwise, try try to start the
smbd daemon by hand from the CLI after doing 'export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib' and see what happens. If that works, try
adding 'LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"' to your Samba configure options.
Although I have the RH 2.0.27 client libraries on my test and production
rigs, Samba seems to want the latest libraries of everything I have.

Best,

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they ? ...