[Samba] Re: Windows XP & greyed-out Guest user password prompt

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Wed Mar 30 11:20:52 GMT 2005

Jules Agee wrote:
> (replying to self)
> Jules Agee wrote:
>
>> Hi, we've been using Samba for a while, and are just now starting to
>> switch our desktop computers to Windows XP. We are having a problem
>> where connections to our Samba server fail, and the user is presented
>> with a password prompt asking for a password for user Guest. They
>> can't select a different user.

 From what I have seen is that samba often doesn't allow you to change
the username if it already has even just one single smb connection to
the samba server. And there are a number of reports of win xp (in
particular) caching some info about connections to a server.

In order to find your problem you could try doing:

net use * /del

followed by a net use to double check that all network connections are gone.

Your description sounds as if samba already has that workstation as
being "connected" as the user "guest" (maybe?) and now only needs the
credentials for the guest account to allow access.

The other way would be to query the server as to what user it thinks is
connected to the "updates" share at the time of the error.

HTH

Urs Rau