[Samba] Re: Windows 98 login problems

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Mar 26 23:42:00 GMT 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 06:04:41PM -0500, Gary MacKay wrote:
> I'm very sorry to email you directly, but I've sent this question to the
> list at least 6 times and not a single response. I even tried to be nasty
> once just to see if that would draw a response. Nothing. I have a client
> that is really getting upset with this issue and I can not find how to fix
> it. It started around the 3.0.7 version or so.
>

> Question: What can I check to find out why Win98 machines only, have a hard
> time logging in?
>
> RedHat 9
> Linux 2.4.20-31.9smp
> Samba 3.0.12 (just upgraded to 3.0.13 and still happens)
>

> With Windows 98 machines only, the user has to login multiple times before
> it finally takes. They keep getting the "Domain controller not found"
> error. Windows 2k and XP machines login first time every time. I've
> searched the logs and can not find any errors related to this. I've tried
> hard coding the IP addr and also using DHCP. Doesn't seem to matter.

I'm not the last point of help because the list doesn't answer :-).

You probably didn't get an answer because you didn't give enough
info. You would need to get a network trace from a Win98 machine
that can't find the DC - see what it's doing at logon request
time. That's the minimum info needed to debug this. Try posting
that to the list and see what you get.

Jeremy.