[Samba] Problems with Excel & MS Word files (still)

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Mar 23 15:18:23 GMT 2005

Problem is apparently with locking issues, disabled oplocks in the [general]
section, and the problem actually got worse...

Here's what happens:

User-A part of group1, opens Excel file off of share, saves, exits...
User-B (or even User-A for that matter) tries to re-open same file, get
error stating it's locked and can only open for read-only access...

Both users in the same group, and share definition looks like this:

[mysharename]
path = /server/some/dir
read only = no
Valid users = @group1
Write list = @group1
Force group = group1

(general section defines create files as mode 0660, and directories as 0770
(which works - apparently)

I have upgraded to 3.0.12, and the problem persists. We're running short on
options, and I really don't know what to do from here... ANY suggestion
would be greatly appreciated, if more information is required just let me
know, figured before I spun wheels I'd make note of what's going on first.
We're running two samba servers using ldap backend for domain/users/etc.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.