[Samba] Behaviour change from samba v2.2 to v3?

Bob Maple bobm-samba at burner.com
Tue Mar 22 17:40:57 GMT 2005

I have an existing Samba 2.2.8 server running on an old SuSE 8.1
installation.  It has a couple of shares, one called "OMF Transport".  In
spite of being 13 characters long, it shows up on all our network clients
just fine, including a couple of Win98 hangers-on, and some Mac OSX clients.

Now I'm setting up a new server, whic is running Samba 3.0.10 currently.
Setting up a share name of exactly the same name, it does NOT show up for
Win98 clients - Or, for Mac OSX clients logging in under SMB.  On the 2.2
server if I make a share name even longer, it still shows up but is
truncated;  On a v3 server, the share just doesn't show up at all.

The configs between the two servers are simple and nearly identical. I'm
wondering what changed between v2.x and v3.x that caused these share names
to do this, and/or if there is a way to fix it in configs?  I spent all of
yesterday trying some different config tweaks and reading about every
directive possible in smb.conf but never came up with anything to make it
act differently.

The other thing I have noticed is that on a Mac OSX system, the server name
of the v3 server shows
up in all caps, whereas my v2.2 server and a couple of other Windows native
systems all show up in all lower case.

Thanks in advance for any advice.