[Samba] Migrating Samba and Users to another Fedora 3 box

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Fri Mar 18 14:52:55 GMT 2005

You will also need /etc/shadow for the shadow passwords.  I would copy
over /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow first so the user accounts are there.
Then you can either use rsync (a variation of rsync -avz -e ssh
--progress old_server_ip:/home /home may work on the new server) or you
can go to /home and du -shc *|grep G and see who has the largest home
dirs (you may need grep M instead of G) and then scp -arR /home/user
new_Server_ip:/home and then chown -R username /home/username on the new
server for a few of the largest home dirs, and then delete them from the
old server to give you some space, and then tar -jcvf  users.tar.bz2
/home/* and then scp it over to /home on the new server and extract it.