[Samba] Migrating Samba and Users to another Fedora 3 box

Aaron Reimann aaron.reimann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:32:07 GMT 2005

Hi...

I am planning on going from a 36-gig Raid-1 box to an 250-gig Raid-1
(ide) box.  The current server is Fedora Core 3 and the new one will
also be Fedora Core 3.  This box is only used for Samba (file sharing
and printer sharing).  The system works great, I just need more space.

So, could someone please help me out with moving user info and /home
directory to the new box?  Here are some of the things I am assuming I
will need to keep me from recreating users and what not:

/etc/passwd - for system users
/etc/samba/smb.conf - my config
/etc/samba/smbusers - samba user info
/home - all user dirs and public shares are in here

Is that it?

Also, this might be the wrong place for this, but...I can't do a
tar.gz of the home directory due to the fact that the drive is almost
full.  I need to make a tar.gz put | it to the new box via scp.  I
have seen it done before, can anyone point me in the right direction
for a how-to?

Thank you,
aaron