[Samba] Problem accessing network shares Linux to Linux

Jason Baker jbaker at glastender.com
Fri Mar 18 13:41:37 GMT 2005

I have a main file server running RH9 and countless workstations running
Windows XP Pro, and an NT 4 box thrown in as a PDC. All of the XP
workstations can view the entire network as well as connect to the RH9
file server through the Network Neighborhood browser and connect to
shares on the main file server (providing they are in the correct group
and have the proper permissions). We have decided to start adding some
FC3 boxes to the network. I have Samba 3 running on an FC3 box. I can
mount shares to the Main File Server through the command line and even
set them to mount at startup. It works flawlessly. I can even browse the
entire network through the Network Servers browser on FC3. However, when
I try to access the main file server through the Network Servers browser
in FC3, it hangs. It never connects to the server showing the shares.
The hour glass icon just keeps spinning. If I close the browser, I can
no longer view the network if I open up a new instance of the Network
Servers browser. I have to restart the computer. I suppose I could get
away with mounting all my shares, but sometimes it is nice just to
browse the shares in the GUI and connect to the ones you need with out
needing to mount them. Also, I created another test workstation with FC3
and was able to access shares through the Network Servers browser
between both FC3 machines. Could it be incompatibilities between FC3 and
RH9. I am running Samba 2.2.7 on the RH9 box, should I update that to
Samba 3? Any suggestions:

Here is the conf from the RH9 File Server:
[global]
    workgroup = workgroup
    server string = Samba Server
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    guest account = smbuser
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 5000
    security = SERVER
    password server = 192.168.1.5
    password level = 4
    username level = 4
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
    pam password change = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    local master = no
    os level = 33
    domain master = no
    preferred master = no
    wins server = 192.168.1.5
    guest ok = yes
    dns proxy = no
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775
[shared]
    comment = shared
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mode = 0665
    path = /home/shared
    valid users = @shared
    directory mode = 0777

And here is the conf from my workstation:
[global]
    workgroup = workgroup
    server string = Network Administrator
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log