[Samba] Problems with MS Office (Excel/Word) & Samba 3.0.11, (moved to testing 3.0.12-RC1) attn Jerry

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Mar 16 14:20:23 GMT 2005

In our experience, the network delay had to do with a couple of things:

#1 - name resolution, some machines were using WINS, othere DNS, others
nothing at all - changed all machines to dhcp clients using WINS & DNS -
fixed a lot

#2 - NDS/Novell client issues, running Novell Netware & samba not work well
when neither know's of the other's existence, since we're retiring Novell
server anyhow - removal of Netware Client drastically sped up browsing on
clients (not to mention, means we are running solely tcpip - no more IPX/SPC
protocol)

#3 - One network, one protocol. We have since moved any of the remaining
Netware clients (which must remain for accounting software packages amongst
other things) to purely tcpip clients, thus removing all IPX/SPX traffic
from the LAN. We also subnetted the office and shop networks independantly
as the various shop machines don't need to resolve from the windows clients
at all.

Just a few housecleaning items which really should have been done anyways,
but figured they were worth mentioning in case anyone else has been
experiencing delays too.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
http://www.wmplt.com/

3.0.11,(moved to testing 3.0.12-RC1) attn Jerry