[Samba] Re: Samba + PDC + LDAP (Sun One DS 5.2, Messaging and Identity)

Michal Kurowski mkur at gazeta.pl
Tue Mar 15 15:12:55 GMT 2005

Hafiz Abdul Rehman [tipu20 at gmail.com] wrote:

> I am planing to install Samba as PDC for Windows XP Machines and LDAP
> (Sun ONE DS 5.2 + Messaging + Identity ) as backend sam
> if some one have already setup this kind of environment and can write
> down the steps in which order i have to install and configure products
> what would be great

I'd suggest thinking about the design a bit more - the basic question
is: what is the purpose of Sun Messaging and Identity Servers ?

The latter might be highly useful (at least judging from specs) when
integrating with legacy MS Active Directory but I can't think of any
use of the former ;-)

The Directory Server is a very solid and feature rich Ldap
implementation though. What you will need to "tweak":

- uploading the samba schema
- configuring the TLS for secure communication with samba

If you're going to deploy samba on Solaris I'd suggest compiling with
openldap libraries. But do not switch the whole solaris ldap client
side to it. The native tools are very mature and can be configured
easily with DS in a secure way (because of "proxyagent").

Let us know if you have any specific problem.

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski
<mkur at gazeta.pl>