[Samba] Newbie configuration Q

Rob Saville rob at bransom.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 09:17:25 GMT 2005

Hi,
I need a v simple samba setup in order to share files between a
Windows AD network (W2003 server) and a SCO Unix box. Samba is
installed, albeit the oldish version which comes on the SCO CD - v2.2
IIRC.

A user (any user) can login to unix, run a program which generates a
file in the /shared folder. This needs to be accessible to a program
which runs in windows from anyone's PC (or from a background task on
the server). I'm not concerned about security - I don't mind if
everyone on the network has RW access to /shared.

I've managed to get it to work using authentication - ie. I've
generated an smbpasswd file, created the user (pcuser) in unix and
smb, set use encypted passwords = yes, and manually logged in from
the Windows box as pcuser and can see /shared OK.

What I'd like to do is open the /shared up to anybody so that it
doesn't need any authentication. Is this possible?

thanks for any tips

-Rob