[Samba] struggling with smbldap_tools

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 10 08:26:50 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 01:10 -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I have just completed addition of a NetWare migration chapter to the
> Samba-Guide. A complete make-over of chapter 8 is my next challenge.
>
> Recently I was involved in migration of an NT4 domain with 4300 accounts.
> The update to chapter 8 will cover smbldap-tools-0.8.7 and samba-3.0.12 on
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.
>
> I expect to have the whole thing completed by late tomorrow night.
---
I expect that I will have moved on to something else by tomorrow night.

Setup this system this afternoon - I am getting really good at this.

CentOS 4 (nice) - already got
postfix/cyrus/horde/openldap/bind/dhcp/samba stuff set up and all I need
to do is to be able to vampire the old NT4 PDC so I can do it again on
Saturday morning early so I can spend the day migrating profile/data.

I can't leave it until Friday - it will worry me to no end that I won't
get it done on Saturday.

Seemed to me a simple thing. Smbldap-tools docs said if you need to,
just populate ldap with the cn=NextFreeUnixId,...

so I did - and so it failed

The ldap core is there...(sambaDomainName), SID is set, system is joined
to PDC, smb.conf is set to domain master = no, it no workee.

Thanks

Craig