[Samba] Stange mappings of Linux permissions to Samba

Harry Knitter harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
Wed Mar 9 17:52:38 GMT 2005

Hello,

can anyone explain me the following.

in a share [homes] a user has a subfolder with permissions as follow

rwxr-xr-x harry users
From the Windows-client you see
Group Administrators 	no rights
Users				full
Everyone				no rights

a file has the permissions

rw-r--r-- harry users
From the Windows-client you see
Group Administrators		read,write
Users				full
Everyone				read

another file with this permissions

rwxr--r-- harry users
From the Windows-client you see
Group Administrators		full
Users				full
Everyone				read

I dont´t understand this behaviour. Especially as the Windows-client tells me
the group of Administrators was the owner of the files respectively the
folder.
What´s wrong?

We have also difficulties in saving changed files especially those of Excel.
When doing so (Linux-) permissions change from rw-r--r-- to r--r--r--. This
behavior I have already mailed 3/1/05 (Access Problems).

The special situation of this server is:
After a crash of a prior installation (SuSE 8.2) we installed SuSE 9.2 (Samba
3.0.9) and copied the files /etc/passwd, etc/group, /etc/shadow, and the
whole directory /etc/samba from the old to the new installation.
Everything worked fine, also the login to the domain was no problem. The
server based profiles were preserved.
The only problem are the permissions and the change of them when accessing and
changing existing files.

We urgently need help.

Thanks

Harry

--
Dr. Harry Knitter
Hans-Herold-Str. 20

Tel. 09221-97663
Fax. 09221-97664
harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de
gpg key-ID 8A0657DB
Fingerprint
AE7B 61F1 ACC2 5944 A29A 8C31 2D12 2190 8A06 57DB