[Samba] Difference Copy and Move at inheriting

Kaplan, Marc marc_kaplan at adaptec.com
Tue Mar 8 16:54:48 GMT 2005

This is just the way filesystems work. Doing a move of a file/directory
does no kind of re-evaluation of permissions/ACLs, because it's
essentially just doing a rename.

You can see the same thing with Windows, create a file named c:\a.txt,
then create a directory named c:\a.dir. Set some inheritance permissions
on c:\a.dir, create a new file named c:\a.dir\file1.txt. Notice that
file1.txt has inherited the permissions from a.dir. Now, do a move of
c:\a.txt to c:\a.dir. Look at the permissions of c:\a.dir\a.txt and
notice that a.txt did *not* inherit the permissions that are set on the
directory c:\a.dir.

Again, this is just the way that filesystems work.

		-Marc

target-directory.