[Samba] unix groups and samba, printing

Chip Mefford cmefford at avwashington.com
Mon Mar 7 17:02:06 GMT 2005

My samba environment is very simple, stable and useful.

I'm still running samba 2.0.x as a workgroup and having
been handling heirarchal group access for years via
symlinks from $HOME and Unix group perms.

This machine has always been just a file server.
I've been adding scsi drives as space requirements
have grown.

Now I have good need (due to the addition of a
Win2K terminal server) to add print serving
to my samba box. I've installed and set up
cups, mapped all the printers (12) to cups
printers (raw) and configured 2.2.9 for cups
printing and built it.

I'm now sitting down and trying to figure out
how to map things out so that folks in specified
Unix groups have access to specific cups
printers via samba.

I was dreaming of something like;

Adding this to global as i see in
all examples;

printing = cups
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

Then having specified printer shares,

[accounting-printer]
comment = Accounting Group Printer
path = ??????????????????
printing = sysv
printcap = lpstat
public = no
guest ok = no
writeable = no
printable = yes
valid users = @accntng

and so on.

Since cups using the same spool for everything
it does, how in the world do I tell samba that
accounting-printer is a specific cups printer?

This I cannot find in any examples.

Just a link or something will do.

Thanks kindly in advance for any clues.

---