[Samba] lost passdb, workstations lost trust relation ship

Nicolas Kowalski Nicolas.Kowalski at imag.fr
Tue Mar 8 13:04:07 GMT 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Nicolas Kowalski wrote:

> After a catastrophic disk failure, I restored all the contents of
> /var/lib/samba of our Samba 3.0.11 PDC (debian 3.0).
>
> However, when logging on any workstation, we keep having an error
> about a failed trust relationship. Here is a sample:

I was in a hurry, so I had to make all the workstations rejoin the
domain. I do understand why restoring the secrets.tdb and all others
.tdb files in /var/lib/samba was not sufficient to get our domain back.

To prevent this kind of disappointment in the future, may anyone give me
some directions for backing up a Samba 3.0.11 PDC on a Debian server,
using tdbsam as password information ?

I already have backups of /etc/samba and /var/lib/samba. What else
should I include, or what commands (tdbbackup?) do you recommend ?

Thanks.

--
Nicolas