[Samba] Transport endpoint is not connected

Daniel Pavel apavel at softwin.ro
Mon Mar 7 08:45:35 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've seen this issue come up over and over on the mailing list, and yet
never make it in the FAQ.  At some point I've slammed into it as well,
and had to solve it.

Don't exactly remember where I've found the solution, but it goes
something like this:

Windows (XP?) tries to connect on both ports 139 and 445, not knowing
what SMB version the remote machine supports.   When it makes a
successful connection on one of the ports (139), it drops the other, and
samba gets noisy about it.

It you have a mixed windows environment (XP's, and older ones), you
might need both ports open.  But if you only have XP's, you can safely put a
	smb ports = 139
in your samba.conf file, and the useless messages will dissapear.  Even
if you have a mixed environment, you should probably try this and see
how it goes.

I am quite sure I got the actual technical details rather wrong -- I've
read about this a long time ago, so please, somebody correct me.
However, I am also quite sure the solution works :).

Cheers,
-Daniel

--
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as
they go flying by."