[Samba] Multiple samba servers with LDAP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 7 04:23:27 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 21:23 -0500, cooper mail wrote:
> I was wondering what the best practice is for setting up several SAMBA
> servers in a SAMBA domain all on the same LAN.  Here is what I am
> looking at
>
> PDC: LDAP, Samba, nss_ldap, pam_ldap
> Member1: Samba, nss_ldap, pam_ldap
> Member2: Samba, nss_ldap, pam_ldap
> Member . . . .
>
> Should I set the member servers up with:
> Security = domain
> and join the severs with net rpc join
>
> or, whould it be better to set them up with:
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://pdc.domain.com
> security = server
>
> Do you see where I am going?  If you need more details to answer, let me know.
----
You should probably consult both the HOWTO and more specifically, the BY
EXAMPLE documentation for discussions about this as only you can decide
the value of this.

Nowhere did you mention winbindd...

Given local unix accounts are necessary for samba connections, I would
think an overall strategy should be thought out carefully.

Craig