[Samba] Group Permission Conflicts

Michael Flatley mflatley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:46:17 GMT 2005

We are running samba 3.0.7 on a Solaris 9 server.  This is our
company's main file server (migrated over from Windows).  We are
having issues with properly applying file permissions to different
groups.

Right now, we have about 400 users.  They are all members of the
"other" group at the OS level.  Beyond that, all the users are divided
into groups based on their department so that they have restricted
access to certain folders.  For example:

bash-2.05$ pwd
/var/share/group
bash-2.05$ ls -l
total 84
drwxrwx---   4 root     aop         1024 Nov 11 14:19 Affiliate Operations
drwxrwx---   3 root     aud           96 Aug 17  2004 Auditors

The only share that exists on the server is /var/share/group.  We do
not have a separate share for each folder since there are not enough
drive letters in Windows to handle them all.

The problem we have is that when a user creates a directory under a
top level directory, in this case Auditors, it is owned by the user
and the group "other" with permissions 770.  A user in the Auditors
group should be able to access the files, but they cannot until i
change the owner to root:aud.

Is there a way that we can change this behavior?

Thanks for any help.