[Samba] joining a domain without having Windows admin privileges

J Raynor raynorj at mn.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 06:06:10 GMT 2005

I would like to use "security = domain" for a samba server, but the only
way I've found to do that is to issue the command "net rpc join -U
admin%password" where "admin" is a Windows user that has the authority
to create machine accounts.  I don't have that authority, and I don't
think I can get it.

Is there another way to do this?  For instance, if the Windows admins
add the machine account for me, can I issue a different command to join
the domain?  What command?

I'm using samba 3.0.11.