[Samba] Re: Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Mar 3 18:12:03 GMT 2005

From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>

> Have you searched the MS KB for help on this ?
> My guess is that there will be a registry change
> to fix or workaround it.  And that you will seem
> similar issues even when dealing solely with MS
> servers.

Yes, the KB is no help. However, I did pick around in the XP registry and
found the following that might be of use.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}

(type) REG_EXPAND_SZ

 InfoTip @%SystemRoot%\system32\wiashext.dll,-330
 LocalizedString @%SystemRoot%\system32\wiashext.dll,-331

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}\AddDevice\shell\open\command

(type) REG_SZ

 (default) rundll32 wiashext.dll,AddDeviceWasChosen

I don't know if it matters to samba, but it looks like the InfoTip and
LocalizedString entries cause the expansion. Why in the heck it happens
accessing my personal/soccer share via samba is the mystery. It looks like
there might be something strange in the way samba is handling the
@%SystemRoot% string.

Does any of this make sense??????