[Samba] WINS-Server != PDC ?

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Wed Mar 2 12:25:36 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have tried to find that info, but couldn't yet find it in TOSHARG or
"Samba-3 By Example" :

A client has one NT-PDC running without WINS-service and a
Samba-Domain-Member-Server that is currently the WINS-Server.

I have

> [global]
>    workgroup = MYWG
>    netbios name = MAIL
>    interfaces = eth* lo
>    map to guest = Bad User
>    security = domain
>    password server = NTSERVER
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
>    server string = Samba
>    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
>    name resolve order = wins host bcast
>    domain master = no
>    domain logons = no
>    local master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    os level = 0
>    load printers = no
>    hosts allow = 192.168.86. 172.32.99. 127.0.0.1
>    wins support =  yes
>    log level = 2
>    oplocks = no
>    level2 oplocks = no
>    kernel oplocks = no

so Samba does not get Master Browser.

NTSERVER is #1c, #1b and #1d ...

My question:

Does the WINS-Server also have to be the Master Browser?
Would it be better to enable WINS on the PDC and let Samba use it via
"wins server=NTSERVER" ?

Samba-3.0.9-Suse, BTW.

--
Thanks,